Monday, July 18, 2011

“It's alright to be little bitty/A little hometown or a big old city/Might as well share, might as well smile/Life goes on for a little bitty while”


As always, a quick shout-out on food:  Having acquired some almond extract in this country, I successfully made (and ate far too many) almond cookies.  I’ve also tried an interesting treat they only sell in the anglophone regions - Scotch eggs.  I have no idea how the name originated and, while they’re alcohol-free, I think they could be marketed as an ideal hangover food.   Step 1: Peel the shells off of boiled eggs.  Step 2:  Dip the whole, intact egg into thick beignet batter.  Step 3:  Deep-fry.  These can be served as is, hot or cold…though I prefer warm with a bit of spicy piment pepper sauce.  They’re fattening, filling, and oh-so-good.    

I’ve been exploring my region a bit more and greatly enjoyed a hike with friends to the rock formations in Baham.  The town also boasts a fantastic museum and it was very interesting to learn a bit more about the history, culture, and traditions of the Bamilike people.

At the end of June, I went to Yaounde for a workshop on Sexual Harassment in a Cross-Cultural Context.  As always, travel was a blend of amusing and annoying as the other passengers refused to open the windows on the bus.  There are usually two trains of thought for this strange habit:  some are certain that they’ll get the flu (la grippe) if they breathe too much outside air, others are afraid of evil spirits entering the vehicle.  So instead, we sit squished together breathing warm stagnant air and ironically, sharing our germs.  Nevermind the fact that whatever “spirits” managed to enter are also now trapped with us – but I digress…
The workshop was informative, as were the conversations I was able to have beforehand with Cameroonians regarding the topic.  While I’m thankful I haven’t had too many overt instances of sexual harassment, it’s unfortunately a problem many volunteers face.  It was enlightening getting the opinions and insight from host country nationals about perceptions and interactions between males and females, and the associated bystander intervention training was also useful.
Because I was in the country capital, I managed to get myself invited to the “event of the year” at the US Embassy.  This party was highlighting the Peace Corps since we’re celebrating 50 years of service worldwide, so many staff members and other volunteers were in attendance.  Being within the perimeter of the Embassy is like entering a wormhole that dumps you into another world though.  The culture shock began at the security check-point body scanner.  Even more jarring than the mechanical innovation was the basic concept of standing in a line – something unfamiliar to most of us at this point.  After all, at the bank, the post office, or the neighborhood boutique, it’s usually just a push and shove system of elbowing your way to the front and crowding around with the others who have done the same.  Needless to say, I think we surprised the guard a bit as we rushed the contraption as a mass crowd and all threw our possessions into the same gray plastic container instead of following the one-at-a-time procedure.  Eventually, we were deemed safe to enter (despite our uncivilized approach) – though opening the glass door to the compound only made me feel even more villageoise.  With perfectly manicured lawns, a pool, and a gently sloping golf course in the distance, I suddenly felt very aware of just how far-removed I was from my normal day-to-day life in village.  Nevertheless, it was nice to escape into the fantasy for the night and mingle with people while nibbling on appetizers that were being carried on trays by Cameroonian waiters wearing red-white-and-blue Uncle Sam hats.  After the Ambassador gave a speech, the music started and we PCVs “earned out keep” by performing a hastily practiced “flash mob” dance routine.  It was a great evening, but I was ready for a more informal get-together.  Good thing the 4th of July was just around the corner…        

No comments:

Post a Comment