Tuesday, June 19, 2012

"Watching the sky / Watching the painting coming to life / Shifting and shaping / It all goes passing by"


From Kenya, I set out for Ethiopia to meet up with my cousin, Tyler, who was working as a one-year Project Director overseeing a grant at a hospital.  It had been a few years since we’d seen each other, and even that had been a short interaction, so I was looking forward to catching up.  I tend to remember people as the age they are in my mind’s stand-still picture of them, so it was strange to see him as a young man, talking about college and his future professional plans.  I’ll admit that it made me feel proud…and, to be honest, a little old.
  
As it turns out, he was the perfect travel companion since he had researched all the touristy things to do but hadn’t actually had the opportunity to see them himself yet.  We quickly put together an action-packed itinerary for the week before enjoying a bit of what the capital had to offer.  Addis Ababa is an interesting city that seems on the cusp of getting its act together.  There is construction at every turn, but it lacks a sense of flow and coherence – almost like it is being developed by a dozen different teams of urban planners.  In the spirit of Life-is-Short–Eat-Dessert-First, we had black forest ice cream before heading to an Ethiopian restaurant for food and traditional dancing.

 
Nearly all food in Ethiopia is served on injera, a moist and unusually foamy bread with a slightly bitter taste.  You eat by tearing pieces of the injera off and dipping them into the various sauces smothering the "pancake-like plate."  The variety served here ranged from acidic to spicy.
The next morning, we were up early to catch our flight up to Lalibela, home to what many consider the 8th wonder of the world - 11 rock-hewn churches.  There, we had an amazing tour guide who explained the impressive history and intricate symbolism of the structures carved directly from the rocks after King Lalibela had a vision.  We took advantage of playing tourist by taking a lot of pictures and eating at a cozy restaurant that served huge portions of Western food.



    
















  
Traditional two-story hut around Lalibela (the first level is for the animals)


These are some seriously huge churches.  Note how high we are looking down at the shoes in the entryway.

Our awesome guide, Hailu.


View from the top - St. George's Church

View from the side, St. George's Church

Mummified remains

Site of the king's throne.  An entire gorge separated him from where I'm standing.  
Perfect lines, incredible symmetry.  Hard to believe this was all done by hand with basic tools. 


Our trip continued with a puddle-jumper flight up to Aksum.  Although we probably got ripped off in the negotiations, you almost need a tour guide to hit the main attractions as they’re scattered throughout.  Aksum has a good vibe – decidedly touristy and slightly cosmopolitan without being in-your-face about it.  After taking in the sites, we walked around exploring the town and hiking some rock cliffs.  Dinner was Ethiopian food and amazing mango tea before calling it a night.  (Seriously, I can’t stop thinking about that tea – we even had another cup before heading out the next morning.)

Queen Sheba's Palace

According to legend, the birthplace of injera



The mountain range in the background is the boundary between Ethiopia and Eritrea
Stele Field

Hallway in an underground mausoleum

St. Mary of Zion Church

Allegedly, where the Ark of the Covenant is housed


Aeriel view of Aksum

Flying back to Lalibela, we found a van heading in the direction we needed to go.  We got out in a truck-stop town a little unsure about the next step.  At first, it seemed a man there was trying to scam us, but he helped arrange for us to hitch a ride with a generous truck driver willing to carry us towards our destination.  The step of the monstrous vehicle was at waist level but we pulled ourselves up into the cab and set off with the man who didn’t speak English.  With the combination of a couple tons of cargo and dangerously steep and narrow roads through the mountains, it was a slow moving trek, but the views were breathtakingly beautiful.  Night had fallen when we pulled into the nameless town that our driver indicated would be our stopping place.  He refused payment but I insisted that he at least take some snacks.  Lodging options were limited and we were shown a sparse room comprised of only a bed, four walls, and a metal door.  At less than $2.50 a night, it was sketchy even by African standards, but we ate our cheap meal downstairs and called it a night.

The next morning, we flagged down yet another mini-bus for Bahir Dar, a comparatively upscale lakefront community.  The hotel should have been a step up from our previous night’s sleeping quarters, but the fact that they were pumping sewage out of the center of the courtyard put a damper on it.  However, I did enjoy breakfast vaguely resembling French toast (they took a dinner roll and soaked it in egg batter) at the in-house restaurant.  We explored the outdoor market and then strolled around the lake.  Having worked up a thirst, we had fruit smoothies that were as delicious as they were beautiful.  Our walking continued after we had hydrated, and we covered much of the city.  With tired legs, we finally settled on a boardwalk restaurant that served great Ethiopian food and offered perfect people-watching opportunities.

Our venture to the Blue Nile Falls began with the run-around common to foreigners (faranjis) traveling in Africa.  It was incredibly frustrating, but we eventually found a bus and paid the normal price.  Although they weren’t at the peak of the season, the falls were beautiful and the fact that they were a little tamer meant we could get up close. 

You can see a faint rainbow in the mist from the falls

Suspension bridge you have to cross to go down to the base of the falls

 Our travel woes continued back in Bahir Dar as we attempted to find something going in the direction of Addis Ababa.  We traversed the car park multiple times following various leads from unhelpful men attempting to fill vehicles, but a helpful police officer led us to a van going half-way there – the closest we could get given the time of day.  Tyler and I each took an ear bud from my iPod and we covered a couple hundred more kilometers of travel throughout the countryside.  It was raining as we pulled into Debre Markos.  Following our previous sure-fire travel instincts, we settled on the first non-sketchy/reasonably priced hotel we found.  We were in for a treat as the room had two queen-sized beds. Strangely, the downstairs bar/restaurant also served the best shirro (lentil and chickpea mush) I’d eaten in Ethiopia – though perhaps it was just a combination of hunger and being cold and wet.

We chose the wrong day to sleep in until 7am since we arrived at the car park the next morning and learned that there is only one main bus that goes to Addis Ababa every day and it left at 6.  We walked in circles around the town trying to find another option but thought everything we were being quoted was overpriced.  As it turned out, the ridiculous price we were initially given was the best deal.  (I decided to put aside my headstrong Cameroonian bargaining/indignation for the rest of the trip.) We arrived in the capital and indulged our American cravings for pizza and fries.           

Bags packed, I left early the next morning for the airport.  However, I learned during check-in that the flight had been overbooked.  I waited to see if a spot would become available on standby or if they could re-route me through a different connection.  Instead, the wonderful people at Ethiopian Airlines asked if I would mind being put up a hotel for 24 hours.  And not just any hotel: the Hilton!  It wasn’t a hard decision - especially since they agreed to shuttle me back and forth, pay for my meals, and give me cash in-hand.  Um…yes please!  The hotel shuttle was running late, which didn’t bother me at all but made the other passenger who was waiting furious.  He was belligerently drunk and I was appalled at his behavior to the staff so tried to make up for his attitude by letting them know how much I appreciated everything they were doing.  I settled into my hotel room, watched some American television, and then visited the incredible lunch buffet.  The sheer quantity and variety of food was mind-blowing, and I couldn’t contain my glee when I saw there was an entire table devoted to impressive-looking desserts.  Cream puffs and peach tarts and strawberries, oh my! The Addis Ababa Hilton Hotel isn’t where you go to experience authentic Ethiopia…but it’s not too shabby, either.

I wandered around the city, eventually making my way back to where my cousin was staying and surprised him with the news that I was still in town.  Because he had work to do, I continued playing tourist by myself, walking around buying souvenirs and writing postcards.  For dinner, Tyler, a colleague, and I, went to a Greek restaurant and gorged ourselves on a cheese plate and amazing pizza and had a wonderful evening of interesting conversation before they walked me back to the hotel.  I wrapped up my last night of vacation watching television, taking a long warm shower, and pocketing the travel-sized toiletries!        

The breakfast buffet the next morning was another perfect sendoff, especially knowing that I faced a long day of flying and arrival into Douala, a city so sweltering that, as another Peace Corps Volunteer says “it makes your sweat sweat.”  Having left under unusual circumstances, coming back to Cameroon was bittersweet.  Climbing aboard the rickety bus packed full (nearly every woman had a child – or two – on her lap), I settled in for the long ride ahead and sighed with contentment that, although I had been away…it was good to be home.       

All in all, it was an amazing vacation and I’m so glad I went.  While there are certainly similarities, I was most struck by the differences between East and West Africa – and, even more so, from country to country.  While my time in Kenya was limited to the capital, from it I was able to see the potential of development in Africa – and, that that standard of living can be available to a larger portion of host country nationals.  In Ethiopia, I was fortunate enough to get a taste of it all – urban and rural, touristy and remote.  Unfortunately, I was saddened by a lot of what I saw.  Ethiopia’s economy looks, at least on a superficial front (people’s attire, lack of footwear, possessions), comparatively much weaker than Cameroon’s – despite better infrastructure in other areas (more paved roads, transportation slightly more comfortable).  For all the talk of corruption in Cameroon, I prefer the entrepreneurial spirit that I find many people have here.  I got the impression that Ethiopia has a severe culture of dependency (as in, dependency on foreign assistance), as we were constantly barraged with open hands and endless pleas of “Give me money!  Give me money!  Give me money!"  In Cameroon, you’ll always have someone’s hands in your face, but normally they’re asking you to buy something.  I was so heartened by this that I actually smiled on the bus back to my region, gladly doling out 20 cents here and there for mandarins, koki beignets, and pineapple wedges.   

No comments:

Post a Comment